Thursday, July 9, 2015


The Immortal Life O Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot





















Reading Challenge:  A Nonfiction Book
Rating: 4.5/5


First let me say, I'm not in any way a science person. It's not that I don't like it, it's just soooo much information. Science makes my eyes water the moment I see the word "formula." With that being said I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. In all honesty, I didn't even think I would finish it. Its been sitting on my shelf for a long long time. 

Boy was I wrong about this book. You can definitely tell that the author did her research in this. I mean this woman not only identify the family and their struggles, but their extended family and their cousins cousins and the mother of the brother whose cousin's uncle married the daughter of their niece, the doctors, their secretaries, partners, the journalist, the magazines, everybody. It felt like she didn't leave anyone or any details out and that's what made this a great read.

The book was knowledge and you get a grasp of how things work and why things happened. I understood everything, including science terms and the author explained it to us just like she did to Henrietta Lackses family. It's a sad story of struggle, abandonment, fear and anger and really you don't get the end result that you want but you do get a great read and a wonderful understanding as to why the author wanted to tell this story. 

Nfinite Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment