Monday, June 29, 2015

All The Lights We Cannot See Anthony Doerr

























Can you guess why I chose this book for my reading challenge? No? Believe it or not, it was:

Reading Challenge: A book based on its cover
Rating: 4/5

Of course this picture does it no justice but seriously I was drawn to this book from the beginning. I think it also has to do with the fact that I had purchased another book, that reminded me of it and that was The Light Between Oceans. I don't know if it was the words, the blue color but it definitely drew me into it.

Now let's talk about how wonderful was this book. I read somewhere and don't quote me but I believe they said it took the author 10 years to write this and it's perfection shows how much dedication he put into it. The details of this story will captivate you.

A blind girl and her father flee when the Nazi's take over Paris. Her father, a creative gentle man makes sure that his daughter's blindness does not interfere with their daily living and this helps her when she can not longer count on him to lead the way.

A young man, orphaned yet extremely talented joins a Hitler youth academy where it's do or die.

This story leads us to the battles they both must face, a battle of fear, a loss of innocence and the consumption of death.  Their paths cross even if only for a few moments, it last  a lifetime.

You will find that this book does not end up how you want it. At least for me it didn't. I was hopeful when they finally came together but all that quickly changes. This book is about their journey, not so much about how or if they come together but just the journey they took, what they were forced to see, their emotions and in particular their courage as children to survive when hate is all around them.


     Nfinite Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment